Jefferson County Housing Programs
Grant and Housing Scams – Don’t Be a Victim!
Please remember the following:
- Information and applications are FREE.
- You will never be charged a fee to apply for a grant.
- It is NOT NECESSARY to pay a professional grant writer to prepare your application. Professional assistance will not improve your chances of receiving a grant.
- If you need assistance with forms, contact our office and we will help you.
- NO ONE can guarantee that they can get you a grant. If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.
- Housing counseling, including homebuyer education, fair housing counseling, credit counseling and foreclosure prevention assistance, are FREE to income eligible households.
- DO NOT give out personal information such as social security number, bank account information or credit card numbers over the phone.
- For more information, go to www.grants.gov and click on Fraud Issues.
- Loan modification scams are common. Go to https://www.neighborworks.org/Homes-Finances/Home-Finance-Tips/Loan-Scam-Tips to learn more.